Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Something Wicked This Way Comes By Ray Bradbury

Something Wicked This Way Comes 
By: Ray Bradbury

The selection of books I read come directly from my personal librarian. Although this sounds quite fancy, it really isn't. I just happen to have a great best friend who is the biggest book-reader out there. Yeah, and he's my age. People who enjoy a good book still exist, though few and far between in my experience. I just don't come across a lot of twenty-somethings that say :hey did you read that new book that came out?: or :Can you believe _________ won the Pulitzer?: Not saying I'm a super smarty by any means. I like reading,& love going to school (can't wait to go back), but information doesn't just stick to this brain. It's extremely difficult for me to retain information and I have to continuously work at it.... no seriously, it CONTINUOUS. I would have to brush up on simple multiplication if I knew you were about to ask me too many math questions. 
Anyways, I really enjoyed this book about two boys who get entangled in an ordeal with a traveling carnival. Did I mention that it was an EVIL traveling carnival? It was an easy read that kept me entertained. Only toward the end when Will's dad goes into a long speech about evil and what it is in the world etc etc did I go, seriously? 2 more pages before he stops? Otherwise it was fun. Definitely off the beaten path of what I would normally read. Like I said though, if my librarian recommends it I know it can't flop. 


One thing I like to do when I read a book is to write down words that are unfamiliar to me and looking up their definitions as I read. It's completely old school and sort of reminds me of advice I'd hear from my fourth grade teacher but it increases my vocabulary and understanding of the book. That's why I chose to put this on my blog. I felt weird throwing away the list of words because I knew I'd never remember them if I did. SO, this seemed to be the best place to accumulate them. 

perambulate- walk or travel through or around (a place or area) leisurely. 

ironmongery- a person or store selling hardware such as tools and household implements.

incongruous- lacking in harmony, incompatible.

effulgence- a brilliant radiance.

undulated- to move in waves or with smooth wavelike motion.

calliope- the muse of epic poetry (this was the definition I found) Though in the book it referred to the instrument that played music on the merry-go-round. Is it an organ that is on there? OOOH, just looked it up using a different dictionary and this one says :::a keyboard instrument resembling an organ but with the notes produced by steam whistles, used chiefly on showboats and in traveling fairs. 

semaphore- a visual signaling apparatus with flags, lights, or mechanically moving arms, as one used on a railroad. 

cravat- a scarf or band of fabric worn around the neck as a tie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate and read each and every comment... thank you!