Friday, May 2, 2014

Sew-a-bration Of Womanhood: The Buttercup Bag in Canvas




I'm so pleased to be back again this year for the wonderful series "The Sew-A-Bration of Womanhood." Last year it was referred to as "Make For Mom" - but this year it has undergone a great transformation where all women are celebrated, rather than just mothers! 





For more information on the change, visit this post by our lovely hosts - The Shaffer Sisters where they explain it oh, so well. Also hosting the series this year is one of the Season 9 contestants of Project Run & Play- a very talented lady Ajaire, from Call Ajaire



Last year I chose to take the opportunity to make myself a dress (view the post HERE). It was a monumental time for me considering I had never made an adult garment before and was guest posting for the first time as well! I learned so much during the process and was really happy that although it wasn't easy, I felt accountable to finish it. 
I really wanted to make another garment this year, but because I'm due to have a baby in just 2 weeks, I had to reconsider. 


Instead, I chose to go with another first- my first purse. I used a wonderful free pattern from Made By Rae called The Buttercup Bag.  For the exterior fabric I used a canvas fabric that I purchased at a great shop called SCRAP in San Francisco. The canvas is really sturdy and a bit stiff so it held the shape of the purse beautifully. I've been waiting nearly two years for the perfect project to use it and I this one definitely feels perfect. 


 I used a pretty coordinating floral for the inside of the bag and this is where I really wanted it to shine. I knew that the bag was a fairly simple pattern that wouldn't take a lengthy time to create and so I really took my time and enjoyed the process of making myself something. The original pattern features a magnetic closure and this lovely interior pocket made to hold a variety of items such as lip gloss. 


But, I didn't want to stop there. I enjoy lots of storage in my purses because digging around is obnoxious and let's face it- mom's are required to carry quite a few items. So, on the opposite side I added a welt zipper pocket. I usually keep bandaids and wet napkins in here for times of emergency. They aren't something I need to use often, but are important none the less. 



I really like my purse- it's small so I don't acquire too much clutter, but also large enough to fit the things I need to carry like my wallet and keys. The beige and yellow exterior makes it easy to match with my clothing and I simply love the fabric. 

A big thank you to the Shaffer Sisters and Call Ajaire for hosting this series and asking me to participate. Now, go forth and celebrate yourself. You totally deserve it!



17 comments:

  1. Oh I love it! The lining is perfect. You're so cute! Can't wait to see that baby :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a beautiful purse. I had the same problem, huge belly, and going on to alternative sewing, no clothes... =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Being pregnant can be fun, but clothing is a bit of a difficulty. I'll be happy when I'm back to staying the same size for more than a few weeks. :)

      Delete
  3. Looks great! I love the lining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes- I couldn't believe how nicely they matched. I usually spend quite a bit of time tearing apart my stash for coordinating fabrics and these were generally close to each other!

      Delete
  4. You are so gorgeous Mae! And totally rocking that baby bump! The bag is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I can't believe I'm down to 9 days before my due date. Time sure does fly!

      Delete
  5. love the bag! And, the bump looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am getting much more comfortable with taking photos of myself. It really does take some getting use to! (making the purse was much easier)

      Delete
  6. Now I'm running over to get that bag pattern! It's the perfect size for a night out. Also you are adorable pregnant! I don't think I've seen a full body shot and you look amazing :) Thanks for contributing Mae!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you so much Ajaire! I am so amazed at the amount of amazing free patterns that are available, & this one is definitely a keeper. My next one will be lined with an awesome scarf I purchased at the thrift store!

      Delete
  7. Thank you for participating again this year. You always make the most lovely things and that bag is so cute! I have never made myself a bag probably something I should remedy in the next couple years or so.
    With Love,
    Scary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely my pleasure! You guys have really created an awesome challenge that I enjoy taking part in each year- I can only hope that I take the motivation I get from it and utilize it more often. Much love for you ladies and I can't wait to see what the rest of the tour will bring!

      Delete
  8. Lovely bag, great fabrics... but you're the star, here! I felt so ugly with my big bump, that I don't have a single shot of it... and now I'm sad about it... I'd really like to have pictures like yours... <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Irene! Really, being my third pregnancy and feeling very much the same way as you did during my first two- I have tried to get better with time about taking photos. Right NOW I may not feel like I'm at my best, but once I'm looking back at albums and baby books I get very sad that I didn't set aside my insecurities and document the joy of pregnancy better. So I think that has helped keep me snapping away this time!

      Delete
  9. You are adorable! You look beautiful pregnant :)
    I have that same pattern cut out to make a purse for my 8 year old.
    You did a great job on the purse.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and read each and every comment... thank you!